These nutritional power foods are loaded with nutrients crucial to a healthy, long life....If you can include a variety of them in your diet everyday, I promise they will change your life! Super foods contain high concentrations of crucial nutrients...which can help keep you healthy and happy for many years to come!
- Omega 3-Rich Fish ~Superfoods for the Heart, Joints, and Memory~ lowers heart disease risk, help arthritis, and may possibly help with memory loss and Alzheimer's...There is some evidence to show that it reduces depression, too! Look for wild (not farmed) salmon, herring, sardines, and mackerel...Eat two-to-three servings a week....Other ways to get Omega 3s? They are in eggs, flax seed, and walnuts.... These fish have the added benefit of being high in monounsaturated fats...which can lower cholesterol. My favorite foods in the world are salmon and spinach...Everytime I eat them I feel like a million! And when I don't have time to cook salmon...i microwave it for 4-5 minutes...It comes out fine!
- Blueberries ~Packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids, these super berries are also high in potassium and vitamin C...Not only can they lower your risk of heart disease and cancer, they are also anti-inflammatory.... serving (about 1~2 cups) everyday...(Frozen is just as good as the fresh berries...so, when they go on sale...freeze them!)
- Broccoli~ Just two florets...raw or lightly cooked.... count as a veggie portion...not only does broccoli contain antioxidants including vitamin C but it's a particularly good source of folate...Increasing your intake of folic acid is a major benefit in preventing heart disease....Broccoli also contains an antioxidant called lutein that can delay the progression of macular degeneration....Broccoli also contains a phytochemical called sulphoraphane that helps fight cancer...Add them to your sauces, steam them and add a little olive oil and salt, or put them in your salad...
- Bananas~ It's a myth that bananas are fattening...Bananas are slightly higher in energy than other fruits but the calories come mainly from carbohydrate....bananas are excellent for refueling before or after exercise....I take one to the gym with me and eat it after my workouts! Bananas are packed with potassium that helps lower blood pressure and vitamin B6 for healthy skin and hair.... They also have antioxidants protect cells in the body against damage from free radicals that can cause heart disease and cancer.
- Cinnamon~Believe it or not, this awesome spice is one of the healthiest foods in the world!!! Dust it on your oatmeal, your morning coffee, or even on a piece of fruit....And don't even ask me if that cinnamon roll counts...:) Studies show that it can lower cholesterol and help control blood sugar...Recent news from the American Diabetes Association says that it doesn't have any effect on blood sugar levels! Which is awesome...so, what are you waiting for...Go up cinnamon in that coffee! :)
- Pomegranate Juice~ One of my favorites! This antioxidant-rich juice has been shown to help fight heart disease and lower cholesterol. Drink a small cup of pom juice daily, diluted with water if you find the taste too strong. You can also buy blends that contain apple or blueberry juice. I freeze it when it goes on sale... Just take some out of the bottle...too give it room to expand...and freeze it...Or fill it in ice trays....
- Avocados are almost as good as blueberries in promoting brain health....True...the avocado is a fatty fruit ~ a monounsaturated fat, which contributes to healthy blood flow. A healthy blood flow is good for a healthy brain...So, go whip up some guacamole! They are high calorie...so, don't go too crazy on them! I add slices to my sandwiches and add them to my store bought salsa....along with some fresh cilantro...
- Beans~ They stabilize glucose~(blood sugar levels). The brain is dependent on glucose for fuel and since it can’t store the glucose... it relies on a steady stream of energy..beans can provide that....Any beans will do ya!...A 1/2 cup a day will do...I add canned beans that are rinsed and drained to my spinach salad...I add a little cheese, tomatoes ( if they are not ripe...I sprinkle with a little salt to draw the flavor out...I let it sit for about 20 minute and add to my salad) and red onions...I put the left overs in the fridge and eat it for lunch the next day...The flavor is even better the next day...:)And I use Beano for the gas issues it causes...:) Shhh...:)
- Freshly brewed tea....Two to three cups a day of freshly brewed tea ~hot or iced ~contains a small amount of caffeine which can boost brain power by enhancing memory, focus, and mood. Tea also has potent antioxidants, especially as catechines~which promotes healthy blood flow....Bottled or powdered teas doesn't work. It has to be freshly brewed....I love trying new teas on the market...I even have the kids drinking hot tea!
- Garlic~ Eating half a clove daily can help guard against cancer...it may also lower cholesterol levels....I use this in most of my recipes...it is so good for you!
- Spinach and other dark, leafy greens are rich in bone-fortifying calcium, folic acid, which may help protect against heart disease and birth defects, and vitamin K, a nutrient necessary for proper blood clotting.... We are crazy for this veggie! We eat if morning, noon and night...I use it as lettuce for tacos and scramble it with our eggs...It is my favorite food to eat!
These are just a few...I want to challenge you to try these and other super foods for one week and see if you don't feel like a million! What are your favorite super foods?
Written by Screaming Meme http://thescreamingmeme.blogspot.com